About Hella Black Hella Seattle
Created in spring of 2016 by longtime friends and Seattle natives Alaina Caldwell, Jasmine Jackson and Eula Scott Bynoe, Hella Black Hella Seattle is a podcast that preserves and creates community for people of color (POC).
The idea for the podcast was birthed from conversations about scarcity for POC communities in Seattle. Our solution is to use podcasting as a platform to create access, provide education and increase opportunities for communities of color and by communities of color.
Hella Black Hella Seattle subscribers and listeners span across age, race, sexual orientation, gender, education level, occupation, religion, and income level. Our intersectional content includes everything from DJ mixtapes to events happening in and around Seattle, to restaurants and food reviews to in-depth interviews with local changemakers, activists, artists and leaders.
About the Internship
In the spirit of increasing access and opportunities for communities of color, we are pleased to be able to offer three hands-on paid internships with Hella Black Hella Seattle this fall in the following areas of interest: Social Media Marketing, Production & Editing, and Hosting/Broadcasting.
In addition to learning from and assisting with our podcast throughout the duration of the internship, our three interns will collaborate to produce two episodes that will air at the conclusion of the internship period in November 2017.
The internship period will run October 3, 2017 - November 30, 2017, and Metro fare will be covered for weekly meetings and recording dates and field work. Compensation for the entire internship period is a $1,500 stipend.
The time commitment will vary between 5-10 hours/week, depending on training and field assignments. Recording sessions are typically 3 hours every other week, and post-recording training/education sessions will be no more than 2 hours on non-recording weeks. Off-site assignments will typically take between 1-2 hours each week to complete.
The Host/Broadcasting Internship will be heavily focused on storytelling methodology & best practices. This internship includes content creation for the two intern-produced episodes, including guest selection and interview preparation, as well as behind-the-scenes logistics and coordination for Hella Black Hella Seattle episodes.
- Plan and program two intern-produced episodes to be aired Hella Black Hella Seattle.
- Interview guests in partnership with Production Intern
- Record introductions and ads on Hella Black Hella Seattle
About our ideal Intern
- You love talking and have BIG, amazing ideas.
- You are accepting of everyone.
- You are a solid communicator and enjoy talking in front of people- previous radio experience is a plus!
- You are a team player. In order for this internship to be successful, you MUST work well with us as well as your fellow interns.
- You are also responsible and dependable, have a positive attitude, and a really good sense of humor.
- You are also available on weekends and evenings for our occasional events and appearances.
- You are between the ages of 21-24 (this is, after all, being funded by a grant titled the “Youth Opportunity Fund”).
- You are not required to be enrolled in school. But if you are, good for you!
Like what you see? Good!
Email your resume, cover letter, and references to email@example.com
Please be sure to use the following subject line: "Host/Broadcast Internship Application: YOUR NAME"